Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Pride's Kids

On the plane to Memphis I read the first six issues of Runaways in trade paperback. Remi Treuer recommended it, and I had been looking for a new comic to read, so I picked it up before I got on the plane on Wednesday.

It's a very quick read; it only took me about an hour to read it all the way through. It's fun, too. The series focusses on a group of teenagers (one of them is actually 11 or 12) who learn that their parents belong to a group of supervillains called The Pride, and who decide to rebel by becoming heroes.

Again, I enjoyed it, I just have one complaint. The comic is really concious of the fact that its main characters are teenagers, but doesn't really seem to understand how teenagers speak, and thus has them nearly constantly referencing pop culture, the internet, etc. I half-expected the kids to go off jitterbugging.

Anyway, I think it's still worth reading. It's a pretty compelling subject, after all, literally battling with your parents. Also, one of the characters has a pet velociraptor.

1 comment:

Remi said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it. I have the entire run by the original writer (Brian K Vaughn) in hardcover if you'd like to borrow them. The first series, especially, is amazing.

I do agree with the 'references don't always feel right' thing, but it's not super-egregious.

Vaughn's gone, now, and some fool named Joss Whedon is writing it.